A great event for spectators! A Quick Draw is an exciting, two-hour competition for plein air painters working on location. 100 artists will compete for cash awards, and the competition will be immediately followed by a quick sale! Browse and buy fresh, new paintings by area artists as well as artists from across the country!
This year's event will be held at Crystal Mountain and the Michigan Legacy Art Park!
1:00-3:00pm: artist check-in
3:00-5:00pm: artists painting
5:00-5:30pm: artwork checked in
5:00-6:30pm: live music and refreshments
6:30pm: awards presentation
6:45-8:30pm: quick sale
Registration is first-come, first-served, and will open at 12:00 Noon on Friday, March 1.
Awards and Competition Rules
Who will participate: the invited featured artists, and open division artists who have pre-registered (beginning March 1). The field will total approximately 100 artists.
Number of pieces: 1
Painting time: 2 hours
- Canvas/paper will be stamped at check-in.
- Pieces on paper should be matted. Pieces on board or canvas do not need to be framed. (Piece must be able to stand on a table-top easel.)
- Maximum size: 24" on longest side.
- All painting media are welcome.
- Paintings must begin on a blank white or toned background.
- Artwork must be signed.
- Work must be created solely by the artist and done completely from life.
- Work must remain on display until the conclusion of the event.
- Pick up: unsold works must picked up on-site, immediately following the event. Abandoned artwork will become property of Crooked Tree Arts Center.
Sale event: an awards presentation and quick sale will immediately follow. This event is free and open to the public.
- Artists set the prices. Crooked Tree Arts Center will retain a 40% commission. The minimum retail price is $200.
- CTAC staff will process sales; checks will be mailed to artists on or before September 16, 2019.
- Prices are non-negotiable.
- Selling artwork outside of the Paint Grand Traverse event is discouraged and contrary to the spirit of the event.
- All participating artists: $500 Best of Show
- PGT featured artists: $500 first place; $250 second place; (6) honorable mentions valued at $100 each.
- Open division: $250 first place; (6) honorable mentions valued at $100 each.
Awards Juror: TBA