A great event for spectators! A Quick Draw is an exciting, two-hour competition for plein air painters working on location. 100 artists will compete for cash awards, and the competition will be immediately followed by a quick sale! Browse and buy fresh, new paintings by area artists as well as artists from across the country!
1:00-3:00pm: artist check-in
3:00-5:00pm: watch artists painting live at select areas throughout Crystal Mountain and the Michigan Legacy Art Park, and enjoy free chairlift rides courtesy of Make It Benzie County.
5:00-6:30pm: live music and refreshments
6:30pm: awards presentation
6:45-8:30pm: quick sale
Registration is first-come, first-served, and will open at 12:00 Noon on Friday, March 1 and will remain open until the event is filled. Register online.
Awards and Competition Rules
Who will participate: the invited featured artists, and open division artists who have pre-registered (beginning March 1). The field will total approximately 100 artists.
Number of pieces: 1
Painting time: 2 hours
- Canvas/paper will be stamped at check-in.
- Pieces on paper should be matted. Pieces on board or canvas do not need to be framed. (Piece must be able to stand on a table-top easel.)
- Maximum size: 24" on longest side.
- All painting media are welcome.
- Paintings must begin on a blank white or toned background.
- Artwork must be signed.
- Work must be created solely by the artist and done completely from life.
- Work must remain on display until the conclusion of the event.
- Pick up: unsold works must picked up on-site, immediately following the event. Abandoned artwork will become property of Crooked Tree Arts Center.
Sale event: an awards presentation and quick sale will immediately follow. This event is free and open to the public.
- Artists set the prices. Crooked Tree Arts Center will retain a 40% commission. The minimum retail price is $200.
- CTAC staff will process sales; checks will be mailed to artists on or before September 16, 2019.
- Prices are non-negotiable.
- Selling artwork outside of the Paint Grand Traverse event is discouraged and contrary to the spirit of the event.
- All participating artists: $500 Best of Show
- PGT featured artists: $500 first place; $250 second place; (6) honorable mentions valued at $100 each.
- Open division: $250 first place; (6) honorable mentions valued at $100 each.
Awards Juror: TBA
Quick Draw Hosted and Presented in Part by:
Paint Grand Traverse Presenting Sponsor: